People who never knew the struggle of how to start a conversation over text would call you “weird” or “lame.” It may not be easy to socialize through texting, but you can do it if you keep these tips in mind.
The art of starting a conversation with someone you don’t know is never an easy one. We often get ‘paralyzed’ at the thought of breaking the ice with text. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Here are some concrete strategies you can use to start your following conversation:
1. Be brave! You have to get over your fear of talking to someone online because it is much more common than you think, and cell phones make communication more accessible than ever before.
2. Write a catchy greeting. This is easier said than done, though. You will probably have to write a lot of messages to your crush before finding the perfect greeting. Start with “Hey” and see how they respond. Once you find a greeting that works, stick with it!
3. Save time for essential things like a date, meeting, or phone date later by texting someone instead of calling them in advance.
4. If you know the person you are texting regularly, be playful. It is always fun to send a funny message or joke after you have finished chatting.
5. Be careful when starting a conversation over text if you don’t know the person well. You never know who they might be or what they might say, and it is easy to offend someone using texting as a medium for communicating.
6. Make yourself vulnerable. You have to reveal personal information, and it is easy to be misinterpreted through texting.
7. Remember that a conversation on text usually lasts much shorter than a real-life one. Try to keep the sentiment of the conversation intense by making sure you have enough space between your messages so they are not all in one message, or try sending them in multiple messages.
8. Don’t take texting too seriously. It is just a short, quick way to communicate on the go, and you can always have a real-life conversation at any time.
Texting is the most dominant form of communication in the modern era. However, because there are many ways to stay connected via text, people now keep their conversations brief and impersonal. We hope this article helps you break the ice and start building stronger relationships, and this video may help your text strategies further.
[Disclosure: We want to continue to provide our readers with quality content; therefore, affiliate links may be included within this article that may provide us with a small commission should you make a purchase.]